While there is definitely zero support for it, the ability to change weapons on the “trainer” ship that a player flies in Star Citizen’s Arena Commander is definitely an option.
I was able to switch weapons between the F7C that I bought via pledge onto the F7A that is flown in Arena Commander. Here are the results:
Changing Ship Weapons in Arena Commander
Changing weapons is fairly simple. I’ve thrown together a quick little video clipped from when I discovered it while playing. (Definitely a rough video, but it gets the point across.) View the video below.
- Approach the interface panel that is in the ship hangar to the rear left of the Arena Commander trainer ship. In my case, it is the F7A Hornet.
- Press “F” to interface with the interface. “F” is the default keymapping.
- Press “Tab” to activate the cursor to allow interaction. If a mouse cursor does not appear, take a step or two forward and try again. “Tab” is the default keymapping.
- Select the ship that you would like to modify. Drag it from the list on the right to the center of the interface.
- Select “WEAPONS” at the top and drag it to the left.
- Hold down the right mouse button on top of the ship and drag to rotate the ship until the desired weapon or weapon mount is in view to modify it.
- When done, close the interface by pressing “F” and enjoy the changes to your ship.
Some Notes and Tips
- Select the non-flyable ships first and remove their weapons. Weapons currently attached to other ships will not be available to the active ship!
- Do not remove missiles or weapons that require ammo because the weapon will not have ammo when it undocks and will be useless.. (I’m looking at you, Mantis gatling gun!)
- Some mounts are non-gimballed, which means they must be manually aimed with a proper lead on the target to score a hit. Keep this in mind, especially when mixing gimballed and non-gimballed weapons in the same weapons group!
- shaewyn: If you move/remove guns that need ammo they might not have ammo anymore, even if you put them back where they were.
- shaewyn: The Neutron Guns may only fire once. *Needs confirmation by a few more players*
- shaewyn: The badger repeater may shoot fine but make no sound. *Needs confirmation by a few more players*
- shaewyn: You need to reset your weapon groups every time you respawn.
- shaewyn: If you really bugger it up, delete the inventory file in your USER folder to reset. UPDATE: There is no longer an inventory file, delete the entire USER folder. This is found in …\Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Public\USER\