Star Citizen has a lot of great features that aren’t well-documented. In Star Citizen Auto Landing can be a mystery to some, especially in Alpha 2.0 where a lot of features aren’t apparent, such as playing in the same instance with friends or Star Citizen Flight Modes.
A lot of players suffer damage because they land too hard. Luckily, the auto landing feature is not only safe but also very quick. By using it, it takes away a lot of the challenge out of landing and cleans up the landing pads.
Star Citizen Auto Landing Guide
First, fly to a station that has landing pads such as Port Olisar or a service station. Fly near the station landing pads (1-200 meters away from them) and then engage the Precision Landing Mode. Once you’ve done that, here are the steps to engaging Auto Landing:
- Press ‘N’ to engage Landing Mode – This mode disables your weapons and engages the landing pad targetting mode. Viable landing pads will (or should, remember Alpha test) get blue icons indicating their type, landing or service pad.
- Use the middle-mouse click/button to select a landing pad that your ship is pointing at. Your radar will change into a landing guide. It’ll show you a red dashed line to your intended landing pad and show the orientation of your ship. Bear in mind, this is an alpha test – I’ve seen it guide me to a completely different landing pad then the one I selected.
- Press ‘M’ to activate Auto Landing. This just turns it on, it doesn’t make it start.
- Maneuver your ship over the landing pad, according to the landing guide in your radar display. Use ‘Q’ and ‘E’ to strafe left and right. ‘A’ and ‘D’ to roll left and right. ‘W’ and ‘S’ to throttle up and down (no reverse). And use ‘R’ and ‘F’ to strafe up and down.
- Once your ship is over the landing pad, and at a low enough altitude, Auto pilot will take over and land your ship!
That’s it. As easy as that! Enjoy your landed ship.